Sunday, May 3, 2020

The House That Alex Built, Play # 5 - extract



Play # 5 The House That Alex Built by Kate Herbert 2019

ALEX struggles with the changing scope of his sustainable building business and MARIA suggests some radical changes.  
CHARACTERS: 1 MALE, 1 FEMALE
ALEX: (JASON'S FATHER) 40s, three kids, Jason from first marriage and two smaller kids from second wife
MARIA: (JASON’s STEPMOTHER) ALEX’S second wife, physiotherapist.

SETTING
ALEX and MARIA’S Kitchen

DESIGN
Bench & stools/chairs. Laptop on bench.


Extract from The House That Alex Built

ALEX: (stiffens, looking out window) He's back again!
MARIA: Who?
ALEX: That guy who tried to steal the lawnmower. He's back. Just standing outside the fence staring at the house.
MARIA: Alex, he's harmless.
ALEX: He's coming in the gate. He's walking down the drive to the shed. He's going to steal the lawnmower again. Not on my watch!
ALEX puts his glass down, rushes to door.
ALEX: (shouts off) Bugger off, pal, or I'll call the cops. Don't open that shed door! Stay away from my lawnmower! (watches) I said go!
MARIA: Alex, I said he could do some weeding. He doesn't want money. He just wants to do some gardening at his Gran's old house.
MARIA peer over ALEX'S shoulder, pushes past him, exit.
MARIA: (off) It's OK, Jarred. I said you could do some gardening and I meant it. I'm sorry my husband shouted at you. He didn't know, so he thought you were nicking the lawnmower. 
ALEX: For Christ's sake! He's a thief!
MARIA: (off) That's right. Just weed the front today. It's a bit late to do any more. It'll be dark soon and it's getting cold.
MARIA enters past ALEX who picks up wine.
ALEX: He'll probably pull out all the natives.
MARIA: I told him which ones were weeds and which one’s natives. He said he knew which was which because he planted them for his grandma. It feels like his garden and he wants to keep it looking nice. He understands native gardens better than I do. He was studying horticulture but had to drop out ‘cos he got sick.
ALEX: Sick?
MARIA: I didn’t ask for details, but I'd say he has mental illness, but it's managed by medication by the looks of him. He's just having trouble finding a place to live –and a job.
ALEX: You’re being bit naïve.
MARIA: For someone who believes in social justice and corporate social responsibility, you're not showing much sensitivity.
ALEX: I - Sorry. Are you sure it's safe? The little ones’ll be back from school soon. Don't want him bothering them.
MARIA: We'll sik Jason onto him if he bothers them. He's big and burly and stupid. Sorry! Not stupid. Jason’s not...
ALEX: He can be a bit stupid. I still don’t know why that teacher gave him a lift home yesterday.
MARIA: Don’t be so suspicious! She was just being nice cos it was raining.

_ End Extract
_______________________________________________________________________________

No comments:

Post a Comment