Sunday, May 3, 2020

Lover Boy! Play #4 - extract

Play # 4 LOVER BOY! by Kate Herbert


JASON frightens MARIA when he leaps uninvited into her car, and it becomes clear that they are not strangers and she is his teacher.

CHARACTERS: 1 MALE, 1 FEMALE
GINA PAPPAS: 30, Greek heritage, teacher at secondary college, married, no children
JASON: 18, looks older than his years, tall, good-looking, confident, charming, sassy.
MARIA: Voice on phone
JASON’S FATHER: Voice off

SETTING
In and around GINA’S car.

SET DESIGN
Two car seats to represent the front seat of car.  All other items in car are mimed.


Extract from Lover Boy!

GINA dials another call but changes her mind. Starts car. Music plays and she sings along. She drives, stop at lights. As she takes off, JASON dives into passenger seat. GINA brakes, looks startled or a little afraid.
GINA: Jason, what the hell do you think you’re doing?
JASON: You won’t answer my texts, and I wanted to talk to you, to see you.
GINA looks around frantically, checking no one is watching.
JASON: I’m getting wet out here.
 Car horn toots
JASON: (smirking) You’d better move or there might be a road rage incident. Forward ho!
GINA looks at him, horrified, looks in rear view mirror, accelerates with a bump.
GINA: You can’t do this! You can’t just… stalk me like this!
JASON: I’m not stalking you.
GINA: You can’t do this!!
JASON: I just need to see you...to touch you...
GINA flinches as he touches her arm.
GINA: I told you this can’t happen. This can’t…go on...anymore.
JASON: Why not? We are not hurting anybody.
GINA: (aghast) Not hurting anybody! I’m married. You’re...
JASON: What? I’m what?
GINA: You know exactly what I mean. This can’t go on. I told you that. I’ve told you over and over and over.
JASON: I can’t sleep. I can’t eat. I can’t work. I can’t...
GINA: Get out of the car!
JASON: You’re doing 50 ks. You want me to jump?
JASON opens car door, feigns jumping from moving car.
GINA: Don’t be mad!

 _End Extract

No comments:

Post a Comment