Sunday, May 3, 2020

DB and Scruff Play # 6 - extract

Play # 6 DB and Scruff by Kate Herbert, 2019

ANNA runs a music class for differently-abled youth and she and DANNY share experiences and write a Rap song satirising their bullies.

CHARACTERS 1 MALE, 1 FEMALE
DB (DANNY): 20, has Cerebral Palsy. His speech is slow and awkward. Loves Gangsta Rap. His dog, Scruff, is unseen but barks to singing off-stage.

ANNA: 30ish. In wheelchair. Works part-time in office. Completing Music degree.

SETTING
Before a workshop for disabled youth.  Large room with chairs. 
Extract from DB and Scruff

ANNA: 30ish. In wheelchair. Works part-time in office. Completing Music degree.
DB: Come here, Scruff! Stop annoying Anna. I’ll take him outside.
DB coxes Scruff off-stage, re-enters. SCRUFF barks off.
ANNA: Why do you like Gangster Rap so much, Danny?
DB: Call me DB.  Cos they attack the people who attack them. They use music to say the things we can't say.
ANNA: They certainly stick it to the powers that be.
DB: What's the powers that be?
ANNA: People with power over us.
DB: Like the government?
ANNA: Yeah.
DB: Or social workers?
ANNA: Yeah.
DB: And teachers? (laughs)
ANNA: Well, I'm not a teacher that treats you badly.
DB: Nah! You're ok. (laughs)
SCRUFF barks off stage.
ANNA: Thanks.
DB: And you only teach the music /drama class once a week, so you’re not really a teacher.
ANNA: Not like schoolteachers. Did you get hassled again?
DB: Those guys outside the station.
ANNA: And?
DB: Usual stuff, calling me spaz and fucktard and...
ANNA: Anything else?
DB: They chased me onto the platform and stood around me while I waited.
ANNA: Must’ve been scary.
DB: You get used to it. It happens nearly every day.
ANNA: Same guys?
DB: Nah. Different. There's a few kids shout at me from the school.
ANNA: You mean the Secondary College?
DB: Nah. Primary.
ANNA: Kids at the primary school taunt you?
DB: (nods) They're about 10.
ANNA: Boys or girls?
DB: Both. Sometimes just girls. They just stand at the gate waiting for me and shout things.
ANNA: Like?
DB: Oh, you know, the way I walk like a spaz or my headphones or my singing.  (laughs) They really hate my singing (laughs) but it's fun so I'm not gunna stop just cos of some kids.
ANNA: Good for you!

_ End Extract

No comments:

Post a Comment